Roasted Coconut and Chick Peas Curry
YouTube Recipe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQnvUxrGKBE&t=2s
Serves - 2
Spice level - Mild
| Items || In gms || In Numbers|
Chick Peas canned or
fresh( if you are using whole chick peas read the prep needs below)
|250 g |
|Onion fine chopped ||150 g ||Usually 1|
|Tomato chopped/puree ||200 g || Usually 1 1/2 tomatoes|
The one curry
|15 g ||1 tbsp|
|Garlic fine chopped/grated ||15 g ||usually 5 cloves|
|Ginger fine chopped/grated || 15 g ||3 one inch cubes|
|Oil ||30 ml ||2 1/2 tbsp|
|Shredded fresh/frozen unsweetened coconut ||20 g ||1/4 cup|
|cashew (soaked in water) ||25 g ||1/4 cup|
|35 ml || 3 tbsp|
|Fresh Cilantro || |
Pre prep needs:
- If you are using regular chick peas then soak it overnight in water( skip this step if you are using canned peas)
- Next day before prep add them in sauce pan with water and and let it boil for 30-40 minutes until it becomes soft. Drain the water and keep it aside ( also skip this if you are using canned chick peas )
- Soak the cashews in a cup of hot water.
- Roast the coconut in a pan for 5 minutes in a medium flame until it turns golden brown(not black)
- Add the cashews, roasted coconut 1 tsp 'The one curry' masala some water in a blender and make it into a fine paste.
- Take a curved or flat bottomed pan/pot and bring it to a medium flame and add 30 ml oil of your choice.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns gold brown
- Add the chopped/grated ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add all the tomatoes give it a bit of stir for a minute.
- Add 3/4 tbsp of the The one curry masala
- Add 1 1/4 tsp salt (adjust as per liking)
- Give it a good mix
- Add a little bit of water to avoid burning
- Keep sautéing till the entire mixture turns nice and soft for about 2-3 mins
- Tomato Test: You should now see the tomatoes completely turned soft
- Now add the roasted coconut and cashew paste and give it all a good mix
- Add the chick peas now and give it all a good mix
- Add water. The quantity of water you add should be in the same level of the entire mix at this point(usually about 1 cup). Give it a good mix
- Salt and heat Test: Do a final salt and heat test and add salt or black pepper as per your liking.
- Put the lid on and bring the flame to high and let it all come to a nice boil.
- As soon as you see entire gravy boiling close the pot with the lid and reduce the flame to simmer(between medium and sim) for 15 mins. Give it a couple of stirs in between the 15 mins to make sure the bottom doesn't burn and put the lid back on.
- After 15 mins remove the lid and bring to a medium flame let it boil for another 3 mins until the entire water content reduces to 60% of its initial level. ( It should have turned a thicker and oil should separate out)
- Using the bottom of the spoon or a masher mash a few chick peas so it releases starch and gives the curry a nice and creamy texture.
- Consistency test: The gravy should not be runny. It should be in the constituency of a table cream
- Add the coconut cream and let it boil for 5 mins
- Finish it off with some cilantro leaves (1/4 cup) and or curry leaves.
Enjoy with Rice or Parotta or Naan bread!!
Leave a comment