Ok! Don't be alarmed by the word 'Kadai' it is just an Indian wok. You don't have to have a Kadai to make this dish. Just a little bit of love for food is all you need. By all means use a regular pan if you don't have a curved pot or wok and let's make this finger licking dish.
Serves - 2
Spice level - Mild
tsp - Tea spoon
tbsp - Table spoon
| Items || Quantity || In Numbers|
|Chicken sliced in thin stir fry pieces (we recommend breast meat for this) ||250 g |
|Onion fine chopped ||150 g ||Usually 1 medium sized|
|Tomato chopped or puree ||150 g || Usually 1 |
|Green Pepper ( 1 inch square cuts) ||50 g || |
|Onion ( 1 inch square cuts) ||50 g || |
The one curry
1 tbsp |
Garlic mashed/grated/blended ||15 g or 1 tbsp ||usually 5 cloves|
| 15 g or 1 tbsp ||about the 2 inches |
|Oil ||30 ml ||2tbsp|
|Plain unflavored Greek or regular yogurt ||50 ml ||2 1/2 tbsp|
|Table cream or cashew cream (just blended cashews) ||15 ml ||1 tbsp|
|Fresh Cilantro (optional) || |
|Fenugreek leaves (crushed) || |
- Heat a kadai(a curve bottom pot or wok) or a regular pan and 1 tbsp oil
- Take the square cut onions and green peppers and fry them in medium flame for 3-5 mins till you see a little bit of charring. Transfer it to a bowl or plate.
Step 1: The Base (5 mins)
- In the same pot/pan in medium flame and add 30 ml oil of your choice.
- Usually garam masala spices(cardamom, cloves, cinnamon) are added but 'The One curry' has all that you need so add a 1/2 tsp of 'The One Curry' Masala for oil infusion
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns gold brown
- Add the crushed/grated/powder ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add all the tomatoes/puree give it a bit of stir for a minute
Step 2: The Masala (5 mins)
- Add 1/2 tbsp of 'The One Curry' masala (add 1/2 tbsp chili powder or black pepper here if you like it hot)
- Add 1 tsp salt(adjust per liking) .Give it a good mix
- Add a little bit of water to avoid burning
- Keep sautéing till the entire mixture turns nice and soft for about 2-3 mins
- Tomato Test: You should now see the tomatoes completely turned soft and mushy
Step 3: The Main (5 mins)
- Add all the square cut onion and green pepper and give it all an awesome mix.
- Add the chicken and give it all an awesome mix so the chicken gets coated well.
- Add water. The quantity of water you add should level with the entire mix at this point
- Salt and heat Test: Do a final salt and heat test and add salt or black pepper as per your liking.
- Bring the flame to high and let it come to a nice boil.
- If you have lemon just give the mixture one tiny squeeze if not that's ok too.(highly recommended)
Step 4: The Simmering (25 mins)
- As soon as you see entire gravy boiling close the pot with the lid and reduce the flame to simmer(between medium and sim) for 20 mins. Give it a couple of stirs in between the 20 mins to make sure the bottom doesn't burn and put the lid back on.
- Add 2 1/2 spoon of Yogurt and give it a stir
- Bring to a high flame and boil it for 5-7 more mins till the water reduces to 60% of its initial level and the gravy should get nice and thick
- Add 1 tbsp table cream or cashew cream
- Add the fenugreek leaves for garnish
Enjoy with Rice or Naan bread!