Cauliflower and green pepper curry
Picture credits: @steak_calm_lettuce_eat
Serves - 2
Spice level - Mild.
| Items || Quantity || In Numbers|
|Cauliflower ||400 g |
|Green pepper (1 inch square pieces) ||100g |
|Onion fine chopped ||150 g ||Usually 1|
|Tomato chopped/puree ||300 g || Usually 2|
The one curry
|1 tbsp |
| Garlic fine chopped/grated/paste ||15 g ||usually 5 cloves|
|Ginger fine chopped/grated/paste || 15 g ||3 one inch cubes|
|Oil ||30 ml ||2 tbsp|
|cashew (soaked in water) ||35 g ||1/4 cup|
If no cashews use fresh cream (non vegan)
or coconut cream
|30 ml || 2 tbsp|
|Fresh Cilantro || |
Prep prep needs:
Soak the cashews for 10 mins in water strain the cashews and put in a blender and blend it into a fine paste with adding a little bit of water (the consistency should be off a tooth paste or do your best). But if you don't have cashews you can just use coconut or regular cooking cream at the end and skip this step
- Take a curved or flat bottomed pan/pot and bring it to a medium flame and add 40 ml oil of your choice.
- Usually garam masala spices(cardamom, cloves, cinnamon) are added but our 'one curry' has all that you need so you can add a 1/4 tsp of 'The One Curry' Masala. Let the oil get nicely infused with the masala.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns gold brown
- Add the chopped/grated ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add all the tomatoes give it a bit of stir for a minute.
- Add 3/4 tbsp of the curry masala
- Add 1/2 tbsp salt
- Give it a good mix
- Add a little bit of water to avoid burning
- Keep sautéing till the entire mixture turns nice and soft for about 2-3 mins
- Tomato Test: You should now see the tomatoes completely turned soft and mushy.
- Now add all the sliced cauliflower
- Give it all a good mix and wait till the cauliflower releases water
- Now add about 1 cup of water. The quantity of water you add should be in the same level of the entire mix at this point. Give it a good mix
- Salt and heat Test: Do a final salt and heat test and add salt or black pepper as per your liking.
- Add the cashew paste at this point if not skip this step and you can add the cream of your choice at the last.
- Put the lid on and bring the flame to high and let it all come to a nice boil.
- As soon as you see entire gravy boiling close the pot(leave a bit of gap for the steam to escape) with the lid and reduce the flame to simmer (between medium and sim) for 10 mins.
- Add the cut green peppers and give it a stir at this point and continue to sim for another 10 minutes.
- After another 10 mins remove the lid and bring to a heat to a medium flame and let it boil for another 5-7 mins until the entire water content reduces to 60% of its initial level. (it should have turned a thicker and oil should separate out).
- Consistency test: The gravy should not be runny. It should be in the consistency of a table cream
- If it is still runny at this point let it boil for another minute or two
- Add a spoon of butter (skip if you are vegan)
- If you didn't have cashews then add the coconut or table cream at this point and boil for another 2-3 minutes
- If you are not a vegan add 20 ml table cream to make it extra creamy(if you like it that way)
- Add some cilantro leaves (1/4 chopped)
Enjoy with Rice or Naan bread
Leave a comment