Ok! Don't be alarmed by the word 'Kadai' it is just an Indian wok. You don't have to have a Kadai to make this dish. Just a little bit of love for food is all you need. By all means use a regular pan if you don't have a curved pot or wok and let's make this finger licking dish.
Make this dish began by replacing Paneer with Tofu and Coconut cream if you are vegan
Serves - 2
Spice level - Mild
tsp - Tea spoon
tbsp - Table spoon
| Items || Quantity || In NumbersPaneer|
|Paneer 1 inch cubes ||250 g |
|Onion fine chopped ||180 g ||Usually 1 medium sized|
|Canned or freshly blended Tomato puree ||200 g || Usually 1 1/2 tomatoes|
|Green Pepper ( 1 inch square cuts) ||50 g ||3/4 cup |
|Onion ( 1 inch square cuts) ||50 g ||3/4 cup |
The one curry
1 1/2 tbsp |
Garlic mashed/grated/blended ||10 g or 1/2 tbsp ||usually 5 cloves|
| 10 g or 1/2 tbsp ||about the 2 inches |
|Oil ||30 ml ||2tbsp|
|Cashews ||1/4 cup |
|Cream ||30 ml || 2 tbsp|
|Fresh Cilantro (optional) || |
|Fenugreek leaves (crushed) || |
- Soak the cashews in water for 10 minutes and put in a blender and make it into a fine paste and set it aside.
- Heat a kadai(a curve bottom pot or wok) or a regular pan and 1 tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp of the one curry
- Add the paneer, the square cut green pepper and onions and light roast them in medium flame for 3 mins till you see a little bit of charring. Transfer it to a bowl or plate.
Step 1: The Base (5 mins)
- In the same pot/pan in medium flame and add 30 ml or 2 tbsp oil of your choice.
- Add a 1/2 tsp of 'The One Curry' Masala for oil infusion
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns gold brown
- Add the blended/grated ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add all the tomatoes puree give it a bit of stir for a minute
Step 2: The Masala (5 mins)
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of 'The One Curry' masala (add 1/ tbsp of red chilli powder or black pepper here if you like it hot)
- Add 1/2 tbsp salt .Give it a good mix
- Add a little bit of water to avoid burning
- Keep sautéing till the entire mixture turns nice and soft for about 2-3 mins
Step 3: The Main (5 mins)
- Add the cashew paste and let it boil for a 2 minutes
- Add all the square cut onion and green pepper and paneer and give it all an awesome mix.
- Add 1 cup water.
- Salt and heat Test: Do a final salt and heat test and add salt or black pepper as per your liking.
- Bring the flame to high and let it come to a nice boil.
Step 4: The Simmering (15 mins)
- As soon as you see entire gravy boiling close the pot with the lid and reduce the flame to simmer(between medium and sim) for 10 mins. Give it a couple of stirs in between the 10 mins to make sure the bottom doesn't burn and put the lid back on.
- Add the cream and let it boil for 1 minute.
- Add the cilantro and fenugreek leaves for garnish
Enjoy with Rice or Naan bread!