Chettinad Goat/Lamb(Mutton) Curry
Serves - 4
Spice level - Mild
| Items || Quantity || In Numbers|
Goat meat in 2-3 inch
|500 g ||or 650 g if with bones|
|Shallots ||50 g || About 5|
Onion fine chopped
Usually 2 medium sized
|Tomato chopped/puree ||250 g || Usually 2 medium sized|
The one curry
|2 tbsp total |
|Fresh Garlic grated/blended ||1 tbsp ||usually 6 cloves|
|Fresh Ginger grated/blended ||1 tbsp ||3 inch cubes|
|Oil ||3 tbsp ||about 3 tbsp|
coconut (soaked in water)
Use coconut milk if you can't find
| 30 g|
|cashew (soaked in water) || |
|Fresh Cilantro || |
Pre prep needs:
- Soak the coconut and cashews for 10 mins in a cup of water.
- After 10 mins strain the coconut and cashews and blend into a fine paste using a blender.
- Take a curved or flat bottomed pan/pot and bring it to a medium flame and add 50 ml(3 tbsp) oil of your choice. ( we love coconut oil)
- Add the shallots and fry them till it changes colour
- Add chopped onion and sauté everything turns gold brown
- Add the chopped/grated ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add all the tomatoes give it a bit of stir for a minute.
- Add 2 tbsp of the THE ONE CURRY Masala
- Add 1/2 tbsp salt ( adjust per liking )
- If you like it spicy add 1/2 tsp black pepper here or skip if you prefer mild.
- Give it a good mix
- Add a little bit of water to avoid burning
- Keep sautéing till the entire mixture turns nice and soft for about 2-3 mins
- Tomato Test: You should now see the tomatoes completely turned soft and mushy
- Now add all the Goat meat
- Give it all a good mix
- Add the coconut cashew paste.
- Add water. The quantity of water you add should be in the same level of the entire mix at this point(about 1 1/4 cup of water) Give it a good mix
- Salt and Heat Test: Do a final salt and heat test and add salt or black pepper as per your liking.
- Add a tiny squeeze of lemon (optional)
- Put the lid on and bring the flame to high and let it all come to a nice boil.
- As soon as you see entire gravy boiling close the pot with the lid and reduce the flame to simmer(between medium and sim) for 45 mins. Give it a couple of stirs in between the 45 mins to make sure the bottom doesn't burn and put the lid back on.
- After 45 mins remove the lid and bring to a medium flame let it boil for another 3-5 mins until the entire water content reduces to 60% of its initial level. (It should have turned a thicker and oil should separate out)
- Meat & Consistency test: The gravy should not be runny. It should be in the consistency of a table cream. And the meat should easily fall apart. If not boil for a few more minutes till it turns soft.
- Add the Cilantro leaves, stir it up and serve.
Enjoy with Rice or Parotta or Naan bread!!
Leave a comment