Biryani - It is the king of all Indian dishes. Every state in India makes their Biryani differently. And every biriyani is delicious in its own way. Today we are going to teach you how to make an authentic Madras Style Muslim biryani so you can enjoy at home with THE ONE CURRY masala
Serves - 4
Spice level - Medium Hot
Time: 1 hour
tsp - teaspoon
tbsp - tablespoon
| Items || Quantity || In Numbers|
500 g without bones
with bones - 700g
|Onion thin long slices ||250 g ||Usually 2 medium sized|
|Tomato chopped ||200 g || Usually 2 medium size tomatoes |
The one curry
|1 1/4 tbsp |
1 tbsp - hot
1/2 tbsp - mild
|Garlic grated/blended ||25 g ||usually 6 cloves|
| 50 g ||about 4 inches|
|Oil ||80 ml |
|Chopped Cilantro || |
25 g or 1/4 cup
|Chopped Mint ||25 g or 1/4 cup |
|Salt ||2 tbsp |
Regular Greek or plain
un flavored yogurt
|100 ml |
|Butter/ghee ||1 tbsp |
|Basmati Rice ||500 g |
Pre Prep :
Rinse the rice thoroughly and at least 3 times to get rid of all the excess starch.
Now in soak the rice in warm water and let it sit for 20 mins as you prepare the rest
Base: (5 mins)
- Heat up a minimum 5 liter stock or regular pot add oil and butter/ghee.
- Add the onion and fry them until it becomes golden brown and crispy. Don't let it burn. It should have turned thin in a golden red color.
- Add all the cilantro/coriander and give it a stir for 10 seconds
- Add the mint leaves and give it a nice stir for 10 seconds
- Add the Ginger and garlic paste mix and sauté for at least 1 minute
- Add 2 tbsp of salt and give it a mix
- Add all the tomato and sauté for 2 minutes
- Add 100 ml Yogurt and give it a stir for a minute
Masala: (5 mins)
- Add 1 tbsp of THE ONE CURRY and 1 tbsp of Chili powder
- Add all the chicken and give it all a nice mix
- Now add 800 ml of water and increase the flame so let it all come to a nice boil
- Once you see the boil. Turn the heat down to simmer.
Rice: ( 5-10 mins)
- Strain the soaked rice completely and add all the rice into the above pot and give it a small stir. Don't be aggressive as it would break the rice grains.
- Now bring the heat to a medium flame till you see that the rice and the water reaches the same level.
- Salt and heat test: Dip a spoon and taste the gravy you should feel it being bit on saltier side. If not adjust add a little more.
Simmering (35 mins):
- Once you see the water and rice in the same level bring the heat to a low flame and close the pot with a lid
- Let it cook for 35 minutes in low flame don't open the pot
- After 35 mins turn off the stove and let it rest for another 5-10 minutes.
- Open the lid add a bit more ghee or butter on the top of the rice