Serves - 4
Spice level - Mild
| Items || In gms || In Numbers|
|Chicken cut in small pieces (we recommend legs) ||500 gms ||About 2 full legs|
|Onion fine chopped ||250 gms ||Usually 2 medium sized|
|Tomato chopped/puree ||180 gms || Usually 1 1/2|
The one curry
|1 3/4 tbsp total |
|Garlic fine chopped/grated ||20 gms ||1 1/4 tbsp|
|Ginger fine chopped/grated || 20 gms ||1 1/4 tbsp|
|Oil ||50 ml ||about 3 tbsp|
|Shredded fresh/packaged unsweetened coconut ( soaked in water) ||25 gms ||1/4 cup|
|cashew (soaked in water) ||25 gms ||1/4 cup|
|Fresh Cilantro || |
|1/4 cup |
Pre prep needs:
Soak the coconut and cashews for 10 mins in water and strain the ingredients. Now in a blender(you can also use a pestle and mortar) add the cashews and coconut add a pinch of salt and 1 tsp of 'The one curry' and blend it into a fine paste with adding a little bit of water.
- Take a curved or flat bottomed pan/pot and bring it to a medium flame and add 50 ml oil of your choice.
- Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns gold brown(it needs to be golden brown)
- Add the chopped/grated ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute
- Add all the tomatoes give it a bit of stir for a minute.
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp of the The one curry masala
- Add 1 tbsp of black pepper if you like it spicy or 1tsp if you like it mild or skip it if you are super mild person
- Add 1/2 tbsp salt (adjust per liking)
- Give it a good mix
- Add a little bit of water to avoid burning
- Keep sautéing till the entire mixture turns nice and soft for about 2-3 mins
- Tomato Test: You should now see the tomatoes completely turned soft and mushy
- Now add all the Chicken
- Give it all a good mix
- Add the coconut cashew paste.
- Add water. The quantity of water you add should be in the same level of the entire mix at this point Give it a good mix
- Salt and heat Test: Do a final salt and heat test and add salt or black pepper as per your liking.
- Add a tiny squeeze of lemon (optional)
- Put the lid on and bring the flame to high and let it all come to a nice boil.
- As soon as you see entire gravy boiling close the pot with the lid and reduce the flame to simmer(between medium and sim) for 20 mins. Give it a couple of stirs in between the 20 mins to make sure the bottom doesn't burn and put the lid back on.
- After 20 mins remove the lid and bring to a medium flame let it boil for another 3-5 mins until the entire water content reduces to 60% of its initial level. ( It should have turned a thicker and oil should separate out)
- Consistency test: The gravy should not be runny. It should be in the constituency of a table cream
- Add some cilantro leaves (1/4 cup).
Enjoy with Rice or Parotta or Naan bread!!